Embracing onboarding 2.0 for IT new hires helps provide the foundation needed to be successful within your organization. For instance, an effective onboarding program helps new hires blend with your company’s culture. Also, onboarding helps increase engagement, productivity, and retention rates. These results strengthen your bottom line.
According to Bamboo HR’s report, The Definitive Guide to Onboarding, an effective onboarding program helps new hires feel 18 times more committed to their employer. Also, 89% of respondents said an effective onboarding process helped them feel very engaged at work. Additionally, these employees were 30 times more likely to experience overall job satisfaction than employees who felt their onboarding process was lacking.
As a result, you should embrace onboarding 2.0 for IT new hires. These suggestions can help.
Discover why and how to embrace onboarding 2.0 for your IT new hires.
Importance of Gamification in Onboarding 2.0
Gamification in onboarding 2.0 for IT new hires helps create a positive impression of your organization. Providing fun, engaging activities to learn about your company helps new hires retain and apply the information.
For instance, gamification provides instant feedback for learning. Also, the feel-good hormone dopamine is released when being rewarded for a specific action. As a result, new hires seek additional onboarding activities so they can be rewarded for learning.
Benefits of Gamification in Onboarding 2.0
Gamification provides a range of benefits for IT new hires:
- Because gamification provides learning in a challenge-based format, new hires can chunk the information into smaller pieces that are easier to retain and apply.
- The brain’s hippocampus, which controls knowledge recall, is strongly stimulated during gameplay, leading to better recall and implementation of onboarding activities.
- Gamification forms an emotional connection between the activity and its relevance, resulting in a strong focus on the activity and implementing what is learned.
Tips to Gamify Your Onboarding 2.0 Process
You can gamify your onboarding 2.0 process with these methods:
- Determine which elements can be delivered through a learning management system. Examples include what to expect on Day 1, education on the company’s products and services, and explanations of the job tasks and challenges.
- Work with a design team to create the learning modules. Include the goals of each lesson, the tone, the look, and the use of live videos or animations.
- Include in your learning modules knowledge checks, templates, handbooks, training manuals, and a directory of managers and support staff.
- Use personalized avatars, points, and progress bars to create a sense of ownership of the activities.
- Implement badges to demonstrate advancement in your onboarding process to peers and management.
- Allow new hires to provide constructive feedback on the learning modules.
Are You Looking for IT New Hires?
Partner with RightStone to add the right IT new hires to your team. Start the process today.