Virtually all companies value technology. This increases the number of opportunities available for technology professionals to be closely involved in business activities.
Companies’ increasing dependence on technology creates jobs at every level of the organization. This includes executives who lead technical teams and other leaders who help manage the business.
Industry leaders are one of the most reliable sources of information about management paths for tech professionals. Following their advice for climbing the corporate ladder can increase your career success.
Implement these industry leaders’ suggestions to move up the technology management ladder.
Plan Your Career Path
Determine where you want to be in 5 years. Then, make a plan to get there.
- Discover the qualifications and steps for advancement.
- Gain the knowledge, skills, and experience needed to reach your goals.
- Develop your understanding of the tech side and business side of the company.
- Understand the needs of the internal customers and how their role fits the bigger picture.
Be ready to change. Adapt along with the company and industry.
- Continue to add to your skill set.
- Surround yourself with employees who complement your abilities.
- Change your strategy until you discover what works.
Diversify Your Skill Set
Focus on developing your hard and soft skills. This helps you more effectively manage employees.
- Live the company’s mission, vision, and values.
- Understand the organization’s strategic plans so you can attain business goals.
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of fields beyond the one you work in.
- Continue to find new ways for technology to solve problems.
Develop a network within the company. Include employees at all levels and areas of the organization.
- Take advantage of the opportunities to meet fellow employees, especially with a remote workforce.
- Invite colleagues, coworkers, and leaders to lunch.
- Focus on understanding other parts of the company.
- Work with your team to overcome the organization’s tech challenges.
- Use technology to promote innovation and advance the company.
- Collaborate with your team to innovate business models and increase productivity.
- Participate in an organization created for tech professionals.
- Find a mentor for career guidance and advice.
Earning advanced tech certifications can help you move up the management ladder. Examples include the following:
- Project Management Professional
- Certified ScrumMaster
- Certified Business Process Associate
- Certified Business Process Professional
- Certified Business Process Leader
- Certified Brand Manager
- Certificate in Analytical Skills
Ready to Find a Technology Management Job?
RightStone has the technology management jobs you need to reach your career goals. Visit our job board today.